Monday, January 7, 2013

"Prophets of Promise: Isaiah"


Photo of former child soldier Ishmael Beah
Monday, December 24, 2012 (Christmas Eve)
Old Testament Reading: Isaiah 60:1-9
Arise, shine; for your light has come,
   
and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you. 

For darkness shall cover the earth,
   
and thick darkness the peoples;
but the Lord will arise upon you,
   
and his glory will appear over you. 

Nations shall come to your light,
and kings to the brightness of your dawn.

Lift up your eyes and look around;
   
they all gather together, they come to you;

your sons shall come from far away,
   
and your daughters shall be carried on their nurses’ arms. 

Then you shall see and be radiant;
   
your heart shall thrill and rejoice,

because the abundance of the sea shall be brought to you,
   
the wealth of the nations shall come to you. 

A multitude of camels shall cover you,
   
the young camels of Midian and Ephah;
   
all those from Sheba shall come.

They shall bring gold and frankincense,
   
and shall proclaim the praise of the Lord. 

All the flocks of Kedar shall be gathered to you,
   
the rams of Nebaioth shall minister to you;

they shall be acceptable on my altar,
   
and I will glorify my glorious house.

Who are these that fly like a cloud,
   
and like doves to their windows? 

For the coastlands shall wait for me,
   
the ships of Tarshish first,
to bring your children from far away,
   
their silver and gold with them,

for the name of the Lord your God,
   
and for the Holy One of Israel,
   
because he has glorified you.


SERMON: “Prophets of Promise: Isaiah”

There was once a child named Ishmael.  He loved swimming, dancing to hip hop music with his friends and playing with his slingshot.  He was a gentle, kind boy.  But Ishmael lived in Sierra Leone, where civil war’s rampage was destroying all that was gentle and kind. 

One day while in a nearby town listening to music with friends, Ishmael’s home village was attacked by boys close to his age – twelve – wielding AK-47’s and calling themselves “The Army” or “Freedom Fighters.”  He never found his family again. 

He evaded the brutal forced recruitment of the rebels, living a desperate and starved existence, but at the age of thirteen, he was found.  Forced to kill, emotionally brainwashed and intentionally drugged until he was dependent, he became what he described as “a monster.”  He spent two years bringing the same horror to villages that had been brought on his own.  He was fifteen.

But one day, some volunteers from UNICEF came to his rebel camp.  They negotiated with the “Lieutenant” of the rebels for the release of fifteen boys to be rehabilitated and educated.  Ishmael was one of them.  He recalls the first day at the center where they were fed, given “civilian” clothing and cared for. 

Violence immediately erupted between different factions, and he explained UNICEF’s fatal mistake that day, “It hadn’t crossed their mind that a change of environment wouldn’t immediately make us normal boys; we were dangerous, and brainwashed to kill.”
But eventually, the pieces of Ishmael’s soul began to return.  He developed an affinity for Shakespeare and made deep, trusting friendships.  But still, he had no family.  Until one day.  He tells of that day in his own words, saying,

“A tall man walked in.  He had a wide, genuine smile that made his face look like a little boy’s.  His hands were long and he looked directly at me, smiling.  “This is your uncle,” Leslie (the UNICEF worker) proudly announced.

“How de body, Ishmael?” the man said, and walked over to where I was sitting.  He bent over and embraced me long and hard.  My arms hung loose at my sides.  What if he was just some man pretending to be my uncle? I thought.  The man let go of me.  He was crying, which is when I began to believe that he really was family, because his crying was genuine and men in my culture rarely cried.  He crouched on his heels next to me and began, “I am sorry I never came to see you in all those years.  I wish I had met you before today.  But we can’t go back now.  We just have to start from here.  I am sorry for your losses.  After you are done here, you can come and live with me.  You are my son.  I don’t have much, but I will give you a place to sleep, food and my love.” He put his arms around me.  Later, as we walked up the hill nearing my uncle’s home, he pulled me aside and said, “I told only my wife about your past life as a soldier.  I kept it secret from my children.  I don’t think they will understand.  I hope it is okay with you.”  Relieved, I nodded, and we continued on. 

When we walked into the verandah, my uncle’s wife came out, her face glowing as if she had polished it all her life.  She stood at the doorway and then embraced me so tightly that I felt my nose and lips being squashed against her arms.  She released me, stood back, and pinched my cheeks.  “Welcome, my son” she said.”

Arise, shine; for your light has come,
   
and the glory of the Lord has risen upon you. 

For darkness shall cover the earth,
   
and thick darkness the peoples;
but the Lord will arise upon you,
   
and his glory will appear over you. 

Nations shall come to your light,
 and kings to the brightness of your dawn.

Lift up your eyes and look around;
   
they all gather together, they come to you;

your sons shall come from far away,
   
and your daughters shall be carried on their nurses’ arms. 

Then you shall see and be radiant;
   
your heart shall thrill and rejoice.

The dream that a violent, broken child soldier can once again become a child, a son even, seems impossible.  Perhaps as impossible as the promise of “home” for the people of Israel who had been in forced exile by Babylon for two hundred years.  Or as impossible as the hope of healing for us in the wake of the unthinkable loss of so many young lives.  Or as impossible as the God of all creation, who is goodness and light itself, entering into a world where evil and darkness abound, to become one of us. 

Lift up your eyes and look around: with God all things are possible.  Though thick darkness sometimes clouds our vision so completely we cannot even see to put one foot in front of the other, even the darkness is not dark to God.  For unto us a child is born!  A child: fragile, innocent, wise and relentlessly joyful. 

God could have entered this world in any way God pleased: as a strong teenager, or as a successful middle-aged man, or as a confident older adult.  But God chose to enter as a child, placed in the hands of unseasoned parents, utterly dependent upon others for nourishment of body and soul.  The One who spoke creation into being entered this world as a baby only able to utter cries of need and coos of joy. 

Why would God choose to come to us as a child?  As Isaiah 60 reminds us, children bring a radiance to our lives and a rejoicing to our hearts that penetrates even the deepest cynicism and doubt.  As Ishmael’s story reminds us, children bear within them a light that, no matter how damaged or dimmed, fights to shine of goodness, hope, redemption and love.

Why does it matter that God made this choice?  It matters because only children can show us the way.   The way past our pride and civil war waged, the way past our overactive rationality and underactive imagination.  The way past our despair and numbness.

God chose to enter this world as a child, and that Christ-child did not just enter once, but enters our lives again and again as we seek to become more child-like.  We do this by loving first and labeling never, shining as children of God without fear of ridicule or self-consciousness, and relentlessly holding onto good, no matter how thick the darkness may seem.

Ishmael Beah went on to be a delegate at the United Nations in New York, where he was asked to shed light on his experience as a child soldier.  He bravely said, “I am from Sierra Leone, and the problem that is affecting us children is the war that forces us to run away from our homes, lose our families, and aimlessly roam the forests.  As a result, we get involved in the conflict as soldiers.  All of this is because of starvation, the loss of our families, and the need to feel safe and be a part of something when all else has broken down.  I have been rehabilitated now, so don’t be afraid of me.  I am not a soldier anymore; I am a child.  We are all brothers and sisters.”

This Christmas, more than ever, we need the good news that God is with us.  This is true.  But the even better news is this: God is with us…as a child.  The light of that child shines on each of us now, calling us to become children once more, to be held tightly in the loving embrace of the radiant God who knows our true nature and who lifts up our eyes past difference and hardship, past pain and doubt, to see that we are all brothers and sisters.  We do not need to be afraid any more.  A child has been born for – and in – us.  Thanks be to God!  Amen.  

No comments:

Post a Comment