Monday, August 13, 2012

"Re-embodying the Table"

Sermon preached August 12, 2012 by Joanna Hipp, a Louisville Seminary student who is a member of Cameron.


"Re-embodying the Table"

As a child growing up in this church, I have to confess that I would offer refer to Communion as “Snack Time.” And I would remember reading the bulletin and seeing “Communion.” I would, with dread, think, “Great, now the service is going to be even longer.” And now, you don’t have to raise your hand, but I am pretty sure some of you are thinking the same thing. As Presbyterians, we are ready to be in and out within an hour.

Often, sitting in the pew Communion would add length, but not real meaning. As I heard those familiar words, I affirm that when we take these elements, when we perform this sacrament, that we are re-enacting and re-membering, Jesus Christ, his saving grace, and his mercy to his people through the cross and crucifixion. I remembered that this was a time of celebration of the future Kingdom of God. I did not realize the magnitude of this sacrament until I liked it in college, and fell in love with it in seminary. So, being able to be a part of this is something that I hold with high honor, love, and compassion. It is in seminary that I began to re-embody Communion, and understand how it is so much more than a mid-service snack.

Our text today is the beloved John passage where Jesus shows his divinity and humanity. Jesus reflects on Exodus 16, which ironically I studied all summer through my Clinical Pastoral Education work as a chaplain at the University of Louisville Hospital. Jesus returns to the struggle of the Jewish people in Scripture, saying: “Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died.” How morose. Great uplift there Jesus.

Actually I believe there is more to Jesus words than the death of God’s chosen people. Providing everlasting manna, Jesus is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. Jesus Christ shows his divinity of eternal life, and his humanity that will be sacrificed on the cross, at the crucifixion. Just as the Israelite people were fed and nourished, today, and every day of our lives including the life to come, we will never be hungry or thirsty. Jesus Christ is the sustenance that we need to survive. This is what we need to survive in our Christian faith.

This sacrament is an involvement of all of our senses. This is where the re-embodying comes into play. Jesus says, “ Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh.” This is Jesus saying, “I am going to give my life, my body, my whole self for you.” How more meaningful can we get?

This is the reason I love Communion so much. We are re-embodying the saving life of Jesus Christ. It takes all of our bodies: our whole selves, all of our senses to perform and partake of this sacrament. We engage our eyes to see, noses to smell, ears to hear the Word proclaimed, hands to re-enact, and our tongues to taste the sweet mercy of Jesus Christ. We engage our whole self to participate in this process of remembering and reliving Jesus Christ himself.

It is here that we witness Jesus’ humanity and divinity. It is written in the prophets that “I will raise that person up on the last day.” The divine realm of heaven and the human world of earth are experienced together, in this moment.

The importance of the sacrament of Communion is found in our experience of the divinity and humanity of Jesus Christ, while we ourselves we embody his life and mission. As important as this is, it is still not why I find great comfort and hope at this Table. For you see, when we invite people to the table, we invite “all believers,” and this means we do not discriminate. We do not push away the outcast, the marginalized, those viewed as “less than,” or the Other, we join together in one moment where all persons are equal before our God. This is the unity we celebrate each time we gather together at this Table.

Our unity is also expressed beyond the four walls of this sanctuary. It is expressed when we take mission trips, when you support me in my seminary dreams, and when you help the neighbor across the street whom you barely know. Communion is meant to be lived out. It is not simply taking bread and juice: it is re-membering, re-embodying the life of Jesus Christ and all that he did here on this earth, and will one day do again. Jesus Christ is the bread of life and the cup of salvation.

He gave up his body on earth: his fleshy body, to save us, his people. Christ was, is, and will forever be the bread of life, the living bread of life amidst us, his people. Whenever we take the bread and the cup, we are doing a lot of “re”’s we are re-living, re-membering, re-embodying, and re-imagining Jesus Christ. It is also in this act that we are becoming a part of Jesus himself. We will live forever, through Jesus Christ, and in Jesus Christ.

For me, each time I take a piece of bread and sip of juice, I feel a sense of humility;  it is something that as soon as it enters my body I feel humbled, I feel motivated, that Jesus is present not only at the table, but inside of me. I feel inspired to do the work Jesus did. I find peace in the knowledge that I am following God’s call for my life.

I am called to this place, with these people, in this moment. I am called to serve Christ in the church. I am called. I am called, and so are you. We are called here, together, to this place, to live, breathe, and explore all that this story teaches us. Jesus Christ is the blood of life and the cup of salvation. May you experience these elements, may you live out the meaning, and may you know everlasting joy in the love, mercy, and peace of Jesus Christ.
           
But the love, mercy, and peace of Jesus were not tame. While we remember the good stories of Jesus, Jesus’ sermon on the mount and the plain, cleansing lepers, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, etc. it is important to remember Jesus was also a rebel. Jesus went into the temple turning tables saying, (or as I perceive screaming) “Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Father’s house into a market!” (John 2:16).  So, the calm, humble, simple Jesus is overturned here. This is how we are called to act. Now, while we may not go into temples overturning tables, we are called to stand up against the injustices we see: metaphorically overturning tables. We are called to remember Jesus acts of love and mercy, but also his acts of standing against the opposition, of being a rebel rouser.

At this Table, we are fed the courage to be different, just as our Savior was different. The difference Jesus made at this Table means that we are all invited. The redeeming grace of Jesus means that while we have no reason to be worthy, we already are. It is through this grace that the love of God is experienced in each one of us. This is what challenges me everyday I see people on the streets, hear about tragedy on the news, or read about pain in the newspaper. I am called to a life of service by the One who will never stop entering into situations like these. We are all called to a life of service. I cannot stand up here today, preaching this sermon, reading and proclaiming the Word to you, without remembering, re-embodying, re-living all that Jesus has done, and therefore, I have to help my brothers and sisters who are marginalized, who are cast down, who are listed as the Other, a foreigner, a stranger, a nobody, a no-body. We are our bodies. We are who God has made us, and we are called to join hands together, around this Table, Christ’s Table, to move beyond the walls of this church.
So, my challenge to you today, is to not simply take the elements, not to just pray to God thanking God for the life of Jesus Christ, for the service Jesus performed here on earth, for the divinity and humanity of Jesus, but pray that you find comfort in healing those around you, pray that you share this Good News with all you meet, pray, believe and enact Communion out there, in the world, with all peoples you come into contact with. Live a life of service, because that is exactly what Jesus did, and that is exactly what this is all about. For as often as we eat the bread, and drink the cup, we are remembering Jesus Christ until He comes again. Wendell Berry writes, “To live, we must daily break the body and shed the blood of Creation. When we do this knowingly, lovingly, skillfully, reverently, it is a sacrament (The Gift of Good Land: Further Essays Cultural and Agricultural 1981, 281). Let us remember, re-member, re-embody, re-live all that this Table means outside these doors. Our role is not passive; let us live into our active role not only during Communion but each day. Let no one be ostracized or feel unwelcomed at this Table. Let us re-embody what Jesus did in the temples, and what we are called to do in the world, and let us do it with the greatest virtues of peace, justice, humility, and love. It is in Communion that we join together as a community, a broken community, a disjointed community, a sinful community, a joyful community, a community of many words…a community of many actions. All of these actions grow out of this Table, where we not only remember who we are, but we re-imagine who we are called to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment