Sunday, October 16, 2016

A Town Called Welfare

October 16, 2016

Jeremiah 29:1, 4-7
1These are the words of the letter that the prophet Jeremiah sent from Jerusalem to the remaining elders among the exiles, and to the priests, the prophets, and all the people, whom Nebuchadnezzar had taken into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon.

4Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, to all the exiles whom I have sent into exile from Jerusalem to Babylon: 5Build houses and live in them; plant gardens and eat what they produce. 6Take wives and have sons and daughters; take wives for your sons, and give your daughters in marriage, that they may bear sons and daughters; multiply there, and do not decrease. 7But seek the welfare of the city where I have sent you into exile, and pray to the LORD on its behalf, for in its welfare you will find your welfare.

Sermon: “A Town Called Welfare”

I met the prophet Jeremiah last Wednesday evening, after chime rehearsal, in Vass.  Ok, so his name wasn’t Jeremiah and he wasn’t a “he,” but still, there she was, Jeremiah, right off the pages of scripture.

I first encountered this Jeremiah (whose name I never found out) at the Dollar General as I bought laundry detergent.  She was in front of me in the check out line, with a friend.  The friend appeared to be in old pajamas.  She wore tattered capri jeans, old sandals and a dirty t-shirt.  I could see that she had a hard time standing, as her ankle was red and swollen-looking.  Both she and her friend had something of a dazed look in their eyes.  I’ll admit that my first thought was drugs.  I’m not proud of that.  I was to learn later they were under the influence of something else: trauma.  We didn’t speak, but God wasn’t done with my Jeremiah interaction, and so when I went to Valenti’s to pick up food for my dinner, in walked Jeremiah.

She hobbled a bit, was friendly with everyone, and told the woman next to me her story.  She was from Lobelia, and had been evacuated by a loud speaker waking her from sleep and telling her to immediately leave her home.  The ankle injury happened as she hopped into a friend’s boat, twisting it badly.  She had no idea when she could go home.  It’s possible she’s still not home.  She looked totally exhausted, a shell of a person.

And yet, as she turned to me, her face lit up.  “You look awfully familiar,” she said.  “I just saw you in the Dollar General,” I replied.
“No, it’s not that…what’s your name?  You look just like a friend of mine from high school.”  We figured out I was not that friend, but smiling all the time, she told me I looked “all demure and put together sitting there” and complimented my outfit.  These were not words of envy; they were filled with kindness.

And as she left, hobbling out with her food, she called back over her shoulder to me, “God bless!”  Her first instinct was to be a blessing to me, even in the midst of her trauma.  I regret that mine was not: I didn’t even think to check that she and her friend had a safe place to stay that night until she was already gone.  

That was the last I saw of Jeremiah.  I call her the prophet Jeremiah because they have so very much in common.  Jeremiah was in exile from his home; so was she.  Jeremiah had first-hand witnessed destruction and disaster, not of his own making; so had she.  Jeremiah had no idea what the future looked like or what would happen next; the same was true for her.  And, most importantly, Jeremiah spoke words of hope and kindness, even when glassy-eyed from trauma; so did she.  Jeremiah called for exiles to seek the welfare of the city in which they were exiled; she did just that, spreading kindness and blessing wherever she went.

So often, the book of Jeremiah, especially this chapter, is used as a pop-Christian culture promise of God’s provision, sold at Hobby Lobby on artfully painted, expensive wall hangings, “I know the plans I have for you, plans for a future with hope” they read.  But these words were never meant for people who could afford to buy them as inspirational art for their walls.  These words were meant for a people who had no walls, a people in exile who didn’t know if the meager home they called theirs would still be standing when they finally returned. 

My former professor, Kathleen O’Connor, captures Jeremiah’s powerful vision best, writing, “…Jeremiah promises a future beyond the death of the nation, a future that is open-ended, uncertain, and just over the horizon.   That future will come because God, whom they thought had punished them, failed them, or left them, was still there, still loving, and still yearning for them. 

Jeremiah does not explain suffering in any satisfactory way, at least to me (no biblical book does), but the book pledges that God will make a future and points the way towards it.  The tears of Jeremiah, God, the people, and the earth itself, flow across the book, promising to awaken hearts turned to stone by brutality…Jeremiah is a book of resilience, a work of massive theological reinvention, a kind of survival manual for a destroyed society.”[1] 

That survival is found in one thing – seeking the welfare (shalom, peace, wholeness, and completeness in the Hebrew) of the city where exiles live.  The Jeremiah I met in Vass embodied this in such a remarkable way: she was angry at being displaced, and rightly so.  She was exhausted, emotionally and physically.  She was bewildered, not knowing what might come next.  And yet, in that place of trauma, she saw a stranger (me), and said something kind to them.  Hurricanes may rage, waters may rise, dams may breach, trees may fall, power may fail, but kindness remains. 

So my friends, my challenge for us all in the wake of our own disaster is just that: add some kindness to the world and our community.  Help someone, not because you have to or because you earn special favor from God, but because it’s the right thing to do. 

Another prophet, Presbyterian pastor Fred Rogers, (who you may have known as Mr. Rogers) reminds us of the need to be a helper, saying, “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, "Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping."  To this day, especially in times of "disaster," I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world.”

Let us all be helpers.  Let us seek shalom and welfare, especially for the exiles displaced by hurricane Matthew.  Donate. Volunteer. Rebuild. Pray.  And never think that our troubles are so much that we cannot help another person.  We will limp if we have to, the Jeremiah I met certainly did, but we will spread shalom all the same.

Because as both Jeremiahs show us, in the midst of disaster and trauma, God is building a town called Welfare, where resilience and kindness show up in the most everyday of places, even in Valenti’s.  Amen.


[1] O’Connor, Kathleen, Jeremiah: Pain and Promise, Minneapolis: Fortress Press, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment